Although OpenAtlas is freely available at GitHub, not every project has the internal resources to cover all the aspects needed for a successful research project. It is therefore possible, to cooperate with the ACDH-CH, an institute of the Austrian Academy of Sciences if budget is available. For current and former cooperations see: projects. Within a cooperation some or all of the the aspects below can be covered. Furthermore, a cooperation supports and therefore guaranties the further development of OpenAtlas.
Due to differing research design and research questions, there might be a need for:
- New features
- Expanding existing features
- User interface adaptions
The development of features can be time-consuming and tied to costs. Though, once new features are implemented, they can be used by all OpenAtlas projects which allow for shared costs and synergies between projects.
Certain infrastructure is needed to use OpenAtlas, e.g. a server to install and make OpenAtlas available, as well as experienced personal to:
- Install OpenAtlas, as well as a web server, a database, setting up email, etc. - for details see the installation notes
- Software updates - there is a new OpenAtlas release about once a month
- Server updates, such as security updates that are required over time
- Setting up automated backups
Troubleshooting e.g. in case:
- The website becomes unresponsive or unavailable
- Functions don't work as expected
- Available server space is getting low
- A backup import is needed
Even with infrastructure in place, support might be needed for e.g.
- Evaluation how to map research data to CIDOC CRM and enter them into OpenAtlas
- Import existing data
- Training sessions and workshops
- Re-evaluating the model during the project
- Support to organize or clean up data
- Answering user questions and requests
Once data is entered and research results are available, a possibility to present these findings to a broader audience might be desirable.
Long term archiving
Long-term archiving of data with meta data and make them available online for future use is highly advised. At the ACDH-CH this is possible within ARCHE.