Although OpenAtlas is freely available at GitHub not every project has the internal resources to cover all the aspects needed for a successful research project. For that reason some projects with available budget cooperate with the ACDH-CH, an institute of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, which can cover some or all of the aspects below. Every cooperation also supports and so guaranties the further development of OpenAtlas.
Because the research focus of projects can be very different there may be need for:
- New features
- Expand on existing features
- User interface adaptions
Development of features requires time and money but once implemented they can be used by all projects. This allows for good synergies between projects because of shared development costs.
To use OpenAtlas an infrastructure is needed. E.g. a server where it can be installed and made available but also persons with time and expertise to:
- Install OpenAtlas, a web server, a database, setting up email and similar - for necessary steps take a look at the installation notes
- Software updates, there is a new OpenAtlas release about once a month
- Server updates, e.g. over time servers will need security updates
- Setting up automated backups
Troubleshoot e.g. in case:
- The website becomes unresponsive or unavailable
- Functions don't work as expected
- Available server space is getting low
- A backup import is needed
Even with infrastructure in place there might be need for support e.g.
- Evaluation how to map research data to CIDOC CRM and enter them into OpenAtlas
- Import already existing data
- Training sessions
- Re-evaluating the model in the course of the project
- Support to organize or clean up data, e.g. it is favorable and less error prone to use a script rather to update hundreds or thousands of entries manually
- Processing and answering user questions and requests
Once data is entered and research results are available it may be desirable to present them to a broader audience. We began work on a generic presentation site but even if finished different projects will still need adaptions to present their specific results.
Long term archiving
It is advisable to archive the data with meta data and make them online available for future use. At the ACDH-CH this can be done in ARCHE.